The Bowen Rail Company is Queensland’s next-generation rail business, created to transport Queensland’s high-quality resources for export to the world. The business is head-quartered in Bowen, North Queensland, where it is part of a highly skilled rail and resources industry. We are committed to employing local people from the Whitsunday region.
Our business combines world-leading technology with clever solutions to ensure our operations are safe, environmentally responsible and efficient. Our next-generation locomotives are the most technologically advanced rail fleet in Australia. All of our trains will have drivers. We will provide real jobs for real people.
Next Generation Fleet
Our rail fleet comprises 10 locomotives and 280 wagons. It will operate on the Carmichael Rail and Aurizon networks to deliver coal to North Queensland Export Terminal.
The new Progress Rail EMD® GT46C-ACe Gen III locomotives are the most technologically advanced of any operating in Australia. They use new safety technology to improve braking, make them easier to operate and to ensure the safety of train crews. Their advanced IT systems allow our operations center personnel to track the trains and assist train crews as required.
The new locomotives use 10 per cent less fuel than the diesel trains that currently operate in the Bowen Basin and across Australia.
Where We Operate
Bowen Rail Company will operate on the Carmichael Rail Network; a 200km narrow gauge railway that connects Queensland’s Galilee Basin to existing rail infrastructure and the North Queensland Export Terminal – Australia’s most northerly coal export port. The Carmichael Rail Network is part of the Bravus Mining and Resources’ Carmichael Project and the Carmichael Mine will be the railway’s foundation customer.
Bowen Rail Facts
- Train length 1,400m
- Locomotive type: Progress Rail EMD® GT46C-ACe Gen III – first of its kind in Australia
- Wagon type: Class PHAH. Coal hopper tandem pair – KDD bottom dump.
- One train consists of two locomotives and 86 wagons and can carry approximately 7300 tonnes of freight. (Traditional train configurations in the Bowen Basin use three locomotives)
- One round trip from the Carmichael mine to the North Queensland Export Terminal will take 23 hours including loading and unloading time.
- Four trains will run each day
- Bowen Rail Company fleet consists of 360 wagons and 10 locomotives