Bowen Rail Company partners with Hillery Group
12th August 2021
Bowen local company Hillery Group delivering $15M of critical rail infrastructure
Bowen Rail Company today announced another Carmichael mine and rail Project contract, which has gone to local Bowen company Hillery Group to construct a new rail yard that will create more than 100 jobs during construction for regional Queensland.
The $15M rail yard will be an important part of the business’ long term operating plan but is not required for the company to commence rail operations later this year.
Bowen Rail Company CEO, Trista Brohier, said partnering with Hillery was another example of how Bowen Rail was delivering on its promises of jobs and work packages for the Whitsunday region.
“We’re pleased that we can now share with the Bowen community how our commitments on jobs and contracts for the Whitsundays are coming to life,” Ms Brohier said.
“Partnering with Hillery is a perfect example of this and we couldn’t have picked a better local company to do the job considering their strong technical expertise and knowledge of the region,” she said.
Hillery Group is a family-owned business in Bowen, established over 30 years ago and currently has more than 100 employees. Hillery Group, specialises in civil construction, plant hire and are operators of four local quarries and supply these materials across regional Queensland.
CEO of Hillery Group, Luke Hillery, said the project was a big win for his business and the community
“We’re really proud to have been given the opportunity to deliver this critical piece of infrastructure for Bowen Rail,” Mr Hillery said.
“We see the value that this business will bring to our region for the long term, and it’s great to be one of the first cabs off the rank to win a big contract of this nature.
“It’s not often we see contracts to build rail yards in Bowen, so we were excited at the opportunity to partner with the Bowen Rail team,” he said.
Ms Brohier said clearing and earthworks are now well progressed in the rail yard’s delivery, with other exciting announcements for Bowen Rail shortly to come.
“We launched the Bowen Rail company in August last year, and we have been enthusiastically working behind the scenes since then to establish our business for operations,” Ms Brohier said.
“We’ve been busy setting up our systems, team and infrastructure, and we’re looking forward to sharing our ongoing progress with our fellow community members as we work towards running trains with our first customer’s coal product from the Carmichael mine later this year. Watch this space!” she said.
About the Carmichael Project
- The work on railway bridges and earthworks are now largely complete and track laying is in full swing, so the project remains on track to export first coal to market in the 2021 calendar year as planned.
- Bravus have also recently reached the coal seams at the Carmichael mine, which once complete, will be a 10 million tonne per annum mine.
About Bowen Rail Company
- The Bowen Rail Company is Queensland’s next-generation rail business.
- Headquartered in Bowen, North Queensland, Bowen Rail Company combines world-leading technology with clever solutions to transport Queensland’s high quality resources for export to the world.
- The next-generation locomotives are the most technologically advanced rail fleet in Australia, meaning the local workforce is able to work more efficiently, safely, and with a smaller environmental footprint.
- Bowen Rail Company was launched in August 2020 and will commence rail operations in the 2021 calendar year.
- For more information visit: https://www.bowenrail.com.au/
- Hillery Group has expanded from a small civil service provider, to a medium/large operation with ownership of four (4) local quarries, undertaking multi- faceted civil projects each year and delivering our high quality products across regional Queensland. The operation continues to expand, increasing machinery assets along with state-of-the-art equipment to ensure market competitiveness.
- The Head Office (Depot)is located in Bowen Queensland and proudly employ local staff which makes up at least 90% of our employment base. We have a highly qualified team and invest in the development of our staff with at least 40% currently studying to improve themselves and increase the knowledge power of the business.
- For more information visit: https://hillerygroup.com.au/