All aboard as Bowen Rail trainee driver recruitment campaign hits the track
17th February 2022
Queensland’s newest rail freight operator is searching for the next crop of train drivers to jump behind the controls of its fleet of state-of-the-art locomotives.
Bowen Rail Company (BRC) General Manager Brendan Lane said 12 trainee train driver positions were being recruited in readiness for when construction and testing and commissioning activities are complete.
“This latest round of recruitment of new to industry and experienced applicants is the next step on the road to optimising our existing business capacity, which is very exciting for the team,” Mr Lane said
BRC’s diesel freight locomotives are next generation rolling stock developed in partnership with Caterpillar Company’s Progress Rail business in the USA.
They have been designed to use technology to create a safer working environment for crews and to remove some of the physical requirements of the job that had created barriers to enter the industry.
“Despite the cutting-edge nature of our fleet, our trains still need humans, and we’re delighted to be investing in people and our community, as well as systems and technology,” Mr Lane said.
“The trains are the most powerful diesel locomotive in Queensland allowing us to haul in a double not triple-head, configuration and, on a per train basis, they are more fuel efficient.
“But the perks of the job extend beyond brand new equipment.
“There’s a lot to be said for living in a close-knit community with a great sense of civic spirit, and we provide a lifestyle roster that lets you take full advantage of all that The Whitsundays have to offer.”
BRC had partnered with Trojan to assist with recruitment and training of the new train drivers.
You can submit your application at www.bowenrail.com.au/work-with-us/ and applications close 6 March 2022.
About Bowen Rail Company
- The Bowen Rail Company is Queensland’s next-generation rail business launched in August 2020.
- Headquartered in Bowen, North Queensland, Bowen Rail Company combines world-leading technology with clever solutions to transport Queensland’s high-quality resources for export to the world.
- The next-generation locomotives are the most technologically advanced rail fleet in Australia, meaning the local workforce can work more efficiently, safely, and with a smaller environmental footprint.
- Testing and commissioning of BRC’s rolling stock and infrastructure is in its final stages.
- For more information visit: https://www.bowenrail.com.au/